Saturday 17 October 2015

Reflection on first three phases of ADDIE


E-learning assignment by Yamin


 
My assignment is creation of “Jaundice module” as an e-learning in 2nd year medical students’ curriculum. Jaundice is one out of the two integrated themes in the curriculum. Application of ADDIE model for Jaundice module are as follows:

Analysis 


The need to implement e-learning arose after I (one of the facilitators responsible for review of the integrated theme) marked Jaundice case reports of the students this year. I found that students failed to explain the pathophysiology of Jaundice, interpretation of laboratory results and application to their patient’s case studies. Therefore, I informally discussed about this problem with other facilitators and I proposed whether we could implement an e-learning for “Jaundice module”. Fortunately, most facilitators in our department are computer literate health educators, they are all positive about this implementation. I was very excited about this implementation and happy about my colleagues support.

I also distributed questionnaires to students enquiring about their feel of need, what intervention do they think could improve their learning and suggestions. So most of the students requested that they wanted to learn more student case studies as group discussions and extra lectures on clear explanation of pathophysiology. I am glad that I did manage to give out questionnaires just before they write their final exam. By doing this I found out how I could plan to fill the students’ knowledge gap.

Design & Develop


I am thinking of creating a flipped classroom in which I put up the lecture notes, power point presentations of lectures, link explanation videos on you tube on the blackboard system. Then in class tutorial of small group discussion will be done by facilitators in periods of some lecture times. One facilitator will have to facilitate 5 students in a small group each tutorial. As this is the integrated theme, lectures from different departments eg physiology, internal medicine, chemical pathology will also continue to give lectures in relation to their subjects throughout the first semester. The discussion forum will also be opened on the blackboard whenever students from each facilitator needed to ask any questions. Then assessment will be each student has to write the Jaundice patient case study and submit it online to facilitator directly at the end of the semester. So this is using the blended approach of e-learning on the existing module. I am not sure whether I am doing so many things at once, logistically & technologically whether my institution will be ready to implement this.

Any opinion is welcomed.

 

6 comments:

  1. Jaundice module seems very exciting, thank you for sharing!
    I liked your project Yamin and I have read articles from Vanitha, flipped classroom is a a good technique and might prove effective in this situation.
    I was thinking it might be good to use online discussion forums among students and facilitators to discuss some of the cases of jaundice. I read something concerning interactive, collaborative nature of learning when using e-learning. So I thought if students are engaged in such discussions they will learn from each other and build each other up when analysing cases on blackboard.
    All the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beloved. I am also thinking of including discussion forums as well.

      I can't access to your blog. What is your blog address?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Yamin
    I like the idea of flipped classroom as well. From my readings on flipped classroom also referred to as inverted classroom, their is a shift between classroom work and homework.Lectures which are normally covered during class time are covered independently by students leaving class time to do activities that would normally be allocated as homework. I think the big challenge is design of power point video lectures. Lectures must ensure that critical information is included and emphasized. I think it would be good to include some form of formative assessments to assess the students' understanding of the lectures. Weaknesses identified can then form part of the classroom discussion. I also like the idea of chat forums and blogging for interactive learning. This again must be well facilitated so that students don't go off track. All the best going forward. Best regards
    Vanitha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Vanitha,
    Thank you for your ideas. Luckily I found you tube video lectures on the content that I need so I am going to link it for students. I like the ideas of formative assessments to check whether students have engaged into the learning materials and whether learning has happened or not. I am thinking of including short answer questions or quizzes after each on-line video lecture and students must answer and submit it on line. They get feedback immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you are figuring this out quite well Yamin. The use of open source materials is a good one, and one that I suggest to lecturers wanting to do a flipped classroom. No point in re-inventing the wheel. Try looking for the article by Kim et al (2014) on the experience of 3 flipped classrooms in an urban university. That article has some very nice information regarding design principles for this type of innovation and I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete